- Redwood Bark Opinion Piece on Parental Drinking: Parental drinking inadvertently influences teenagers by Lucy Tantum on October 10, 2014. If Marin youth are to grow up with a proper understanding of the effects of alcohol and the implications of excessive drinking, then they should be able to look to their parents for guidance—and parents should know that when they’re under the influence, their children can be influenced too.
Links to Online Resources
- Check out the Twin Cities Coalition for Healthy Youth (now The Coalition Connection) website.
- Check out My Kid Smokes Pot...Now What? blog by a Redwood Parent.
- "Follow" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Be-The-Influence-540663252794459/
- "Follow" our community partners on Facebook!
- The Coalition Connection.
- And if you are a current or prospective Redwood parent, join the Redwood High School Parent Forum which was started by Redwood parents three years ago. It is a private FB group which is unaffiliated with the Tam HS District, Redwood HS Administration or Redwood PTSA. From academics to extracurricular activities to social issues, it is a forum for parents to share information.
- Read Recommended Books. Here are our recommended books for the Fall:
- Alcohol: What's a Parent to Believe? by Stephen G. Biddulph and Marijuana: What's a Parent to Believe? by Timmen Cermak, MD, contain valuable information about the effects of alcohol and marijuana on the developing teen brain.
- Reefer Sanity: Seven Great Myths about Marijuana by Kevin Sabet, Ph.D is relevant to the debate about legalization.
- How to Raise a Drug Free Kid - The Straight Dope for Parents by Joseph Califano urges parents to advocate for "drug-free" versus "drug infested" schools.
- Getting to Calm by Laura Kastner (Chapter 13 is entitled "When You Catch" Your Teen Drinking or Smoking") offers excellent preventative and "in the moment" advice beyond the "just say no" and "you're grounded!" approach. Pages 233-243 feature different scenarios and strategies, depending on your teen's age, as well as practical tips how to parent effectively and as a team.
- Where's the Party by Jonathan Scott and Kelly Townsend contains excellent practical information on the teen party scene.